Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Media Notes

First up, a lot of people have been asking me about a situation I really know nothing about.  Management has kept us in the loop, but much of that information has been posted in trade publications.  You can look it up on your own.  Anyway, I'll keep doing what I've always done-- show up for work every day and do my best.  The signature at the bottom of my check is almost irrelevant.

FOX gets a lot of heat for the way it does golf, but its graphics are outstanding.  You're  never left wondering about anything.  NBC/Golf Channel could take a lesson from them.

The British Open was an ABC property for many years, and I really miss the way Jim McKay and company could set a scene.

One of the Scranton AM all sports stations now has an FM translator.  It improves the signal north of the city.  It's not bad in the city and the mid valley.

Several competitors to Netflix are popping up.  Sorry, not interested in the original or the newbies.

Published reports say ESPN is trying to fix its morning show.  I don't know.  I've never found any reason to watch, and that's the problem.

It looks like the early part of the NFL season will be overshadowed by national anthem protests and penalties.  Enough, already.

Remember what a big deal it used to be, to see a local radio DJ broadcasting live from store or festival?  What happened to that?

CNN has been running its "decades" documentaries during overnights.  Great stuff!

Sara Haines and Michael Strahan will host the new third Good Morning America (or Good Afternoon America) this fall.

The New York Daily News fired half of its editorial staff yesterday.  I'm not a fan of cutting your way to profitability.  How is that working for Sears/KMart?  But, when you are losing $ 30 million a year, your options are severely limited.