Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Strike

I think I was in Stanton lanes twice in my life.  Yet, I was saddened to hear the bowling lanes in Wilkes-Barre closed last week.

I grew up a couple of miles away from a place called MBC Lanes, and there were frequent visits during my junior and senior high school years.  MBC closed years ago.  It was a great place.  Bowling, pool tables, pinball machines...  I can still smell the lane dressing, can still hear the ding of the pinball machines, the crash of ball into pins.  It was a fun and cheap way to spend an afternoon or evening.

Was I any good?  No, not really.  I think I topped out at 165.  Not bad.  I was usually a little under that.  The key was finding a good house ball, and that was difficult.  I should have invested in one of my own.

Comedian Robert Klein had the best line on renting shoes.  He said it was "like renting a Kleenex."

I hesitate to say this, but I was a regular viewer of the old Professional Bowlers Tour on ABC.  It was there, every early Saturday afternoon.  Chris Schenkel and Nelson Burton, Jr. took the sport so seriously, and it was the same big names on the screen every weekend-- usually including the great Earl Anthony.   I can't say it was enjoyable.  Too many strikes.  Those guys were too good.  it was monotonous. 

I tried my hand on a morning a few years ago.  Considering it had been the first time I picked up a ball in years, it was respectable.  Some guy was watching, and he asked if I wanted to join a morning league.  I was flattered, but I declined.  It was still fun, and even though it was a different bowling center, some of those familiar aromas remained.  Nostalgia.  One big thing had changed.  The price had really gone up, but the house balls were better.

The bug has been planted.  Luckily, there is some choice when it comes to bowling centers around me-- Dickson City, Carbondale, South Scranton, Exeter.  I might have to give it another shot, for old times sake.