Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Tape It

The hullabaloo over Omarosa's secret President Trump recordings brings back a memory of one of the more bizarre incidents in my broadcasting career.

Many years ago, not at WNEP, a boss wanted me to call a psychic hotline, tape it, and see if the psychic's predictions were accurate.  I informed the boss that Pennsylvania law mandates both parties consent to a recording.  I wasn't going to jail for wire tapping, and pretending to be an average Joe, and not a television reporter would be disingenuous.  The person had a real problem with underlings knowing more than she did.  You think she would have been used to it.  Another reporter was given the story, and it was one of the worst pieces of trash in local television history.  A bad idea, poorly executed, as a former coworker used to say.  By the way, yes, there is much I don't know.

Getting back to Omarosa, if this woman is running around, secretly recording PRIVATE conversations, how can you trust her ever again?  I'm disappointed the networks took the bait and gave Omarosa the opportunity to sell books, based on her unethical behavior.

Once again, just because you can doesn't mean you should.