Monday, September 10, 2018

In Memoriam

In the movie "My Favorite Year," Alan Swann, played magnificently by Peter O'Toole says "I'm not an actor.  I'm a movie star."

I never thought Burt Reynolds, who died last week, was much of an actor.  However, he was an outstanding movie star.  The man was box office gold in the 70's.  There were television appearances before that.  There were few guests who were more entertaining while sitting next to Johnny Carson.

Burt Reynolds was 82.

Bill Daily died September 4th.  He was the perfect second banana to Larry Hagman on "I Dream of Jeannie."  Daily played airline navigator Howard Borden, the wacky neighbor on "The Bob Newhart Show."  Newhart Tweeted:   "He was our bullpen guy - you could always go to him." 

When the series work ended, Daily hit the game show circuit and was always funny-- even when he inherited the Richard Dawson chair on "Match Game."  It was a tough act to follow.

Bill Daily was 91.