Thursday, September 27, 2018

Ouch!

I was listening to the radio Sunday afternoon when I heard the news.  Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo wrecked his knee and is out for the season.  I'm not a San Francisco fan, but I was always pulling for Garoppolo.  He was rewarded with a big contract after sitting on the New England Patriots' bench for a few years.

It happens every week in the NFL.  Players get their knees ripped up and they need surgery.  Out for the season.  Aaron Rodgers of the Packers was taken off the field on opening weekend.  Luckily, his injury wasn't severe, but it's clear that he is still hurting.

When you really think about it, the knee is an amazing joint.  It moves hundreds, maybe thousands of time a day, and it supports your weight for life.

I do consider myself extremely fortunate.  My knees don't give me any problems, even after long walks and bike rides.  It is the one part (or two parts) of my body that doesn't hurt after a morning at the gym.

Borrowed time?  Maybe.  Knees do wear out and occasionally need to be replaced.  I'm looking forward to keeping my original equipment.