Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Heavy Early

Let's establish a few things right off the top.  I like to sleep.  My schedule means sleep is exceptionally important.  When you work overnights and early mornings, every second you can spend with your eyes closed means a lot.  I'm not complaining.  This is the life I have have chosen.  I've been blessed with a great job, working with great people.  I've been doing this a long time and I'm still having fun.

I also hate trends and fads.  Yuk!  I don't jump on bandwagons.  I don't have to acquire the newest and the the best, and whatever people are talking about.

There is a rare exception.

USA Today recently did a story weighted blankets.  They are exactly what the name implies. A heavy, heavy blanket.  They are supposed to reduce anxiety and help you get a good night's sleep, or in my case, a good afternoon's sleep.

I checked them out on Amazon.  Great reviews.  I couldn't resist.  I hit the button.  My size comes in 15 and 20 pound weights.  You know my philosophy.  Go big or go home.  I went for the 20.  My now herniated package delivery guy dropped it off last week, and I've spent a few nights under that 20 pounder.

Yes, it does give you a feeling of security and tranquility.  It reminded me a bit of those heavy quilts my aunt had during childhood sleepovers.  In this case, the heavy quilt material and filling is replaced by 20 pounds of tiny glass beads.

It really seals you in, trapping heat.  That could be great on those below zero Scranton winter nights.  You can probably drop the thermostat a few degrees.  It was still a little too warm for me.  I'm a tosser and turner.  The heavy blanket kept me put, and I'm not sure I like that.

I've only had it for a week, so I will give it a lot more time.  I can see the blanket heading for the closet when the weather turns warm.

Am I sleeping better?  The jury is still out.  I don't think my sleep is better.  It certainly isn't worse.  More study is required.

By the way, today's blog title is another obscure old television reference.  There were a couple of episodes of "WKRP in Cincinnati" where Dr. Johnny Fever filled in on the overnight shift.  He used the name "Heavy Early."