Thursday, March 14, 2019

Fail

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious.  A bunch of rich people were busted the other day for allegedly paying big bucks to get their kids in to elite colleges and universities.

I have a news flash for you.  This is really nothing new.  Prominent families always make big donations, and the kids are welcomed in the front door, right after dad gets his honorary degree.

This scam brought things to a new level.  The alleged mastermind called it going in the "side door."  You can read better descriptions of how it all worked elsewhere.  It was a pretty slick operation, other than the part about getting caught.

And you thought athletic departments were the only dirty aspects of big time education.  Take a walk over to the admissions office.

I do feel sorry for all the working class kids who might have been denied slots because they were grabbed by the rich kids.  I'm sure they found another college university, and then were burdened by decades of debt.

I was lucky.  During my time, relatively speaking, college was a great bargain.  I set my sights on something close and affordable.  I did everything myself, without one iota of help from my high school's laughably horrible guidance department.  I worked hard for my degree and have been employed in my field of study for nearly 40 years.

It can be done.