Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Fragile America

I am constantly surprised on how fragile America can be.  Today's blog entry deals with gasoline prices.

A hurricane in the gulf or a refinery fire can send gasoline prices up.  Way up.  A factor I heard the other morning was a new one on me.

The midwest has been hit by some horrible flooding.  Acres and acres of farm land are under water.  Buildings and equipment destroyed.  My heart breaks for the farmers.  It's a tough way to make a living and they are hugely important to the American economy.

Here is my point.  Gasoline prices will be going up, again, because the flooding is keeping ethanol from getting to market, and there is plenty of that in our gasoline blends.

It doesn't take much to send prices up and supplies down, and that really frightens me.