Monday, April 1, 2019

Coconut Junior

This is one of those stories where someone made my day, and I think the feeling is mutual.

My mom recently developed a fondness for Tastykake coconut juniors.  I don't know how it happened.  I believe it started when my sister stumbled across some in a store, thought my mom would like them, and delivered a box.

When the supply was exhausted, it fell to me to restock.  Keep in mind that because of my hours, my shopping choices are rather limited.  I dropped by a big box store Friday morning, just as the Tastykake guy was restocking the shelves.  He noticed I was struggling to find what I was looking for.  I asked "Where are the coconut juniors?"  He replied that the big box management gave him limited shelf space, and coconut juniors are not on the store's  "approved" list.  We talked about the food business and the big box stranglehold for a couple of minutes.  I did toss some of his other products in my cart because when it comes to Tastykake, it's impossible to go wrong.

There is 24 hour supermarket a couple of miles from home, so I paid a visit after the big box store.  Same story.  I happened to be there as another Tastykake route guy was stocking the shelves.  Coconut juniors were nowhere to be found.  He asked what I was looking for.  I told him what I wanted, and who would be receiving them.  He opened a cardboard box that was stacked on his hand truck.  He had coconut juniors, but had yet to get a chance to open the box and put them on the shelves.

I took a couple of boxes, not believing mass produced snack cakes could give me such a thrill.  The Tastykake route guy seemed exceptionally happy he played a role in helping a customer give his mom the treat she wanted.

Thank you.  I spent $ 6.00.  You can't put a price tag on the happiness.