Friday, July 19, 2019

I Still Don't Get It

I use the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport interchange all the time.  This week, I had my first experience with the new South Valley Parkway in the Nanticoke area.  Both feature roundabouts, and for the life of me, I can't figure out PennDot's fascination with these things.

Drivers don't like them.  They're confusing.  They take up a lot of space.  I see nothing wrong with a nice, clean intersection with a well timed and smart traffic light.  PennDot says the roundabouts are safer and they claim to have the statistics to back them up.

It seems to me the goal is to establish roads and intersections that make drivers feel comfortable and secure.  A roundabout is counter to that way of thinking.

In a stunning display of common sense, PennDot just announced it is abandoning plans for a roundabout along Route 118 in Luzerne County. 

Regardless, we're stuck with them and we have to get used to roundabouts being part of our lives.