Tuesday, August 20, 2019

30



I've been doing this a long time, and it's one of the worst crimes I ever covered.

The Larry and Leona Cottam murder trial was 30 years ago this month in Luzerne County Court.  They lived in Nuangola.  Larry lost his job.  The family had at least $2,000, but Larry refused to spend it for food, because that money was tithe-- a religious offering.  As a result, the Cottam's 14 year old son, Eric, starved to death.  He weighed just 69 pounds.  The photo above is Eric Cottam's body, being wheeled out of the family home.

Larry, Leona, and their daughter wound up in the hospital to be treated for malnutrition.

Testimony at the trial was chilling.  Eric tried to make soup from chives growing in the back yard, in an effort to save his life.  It didn't work.  I could not get that image out of my mind.  The poor kid knew he was sick and likely dying.  He struggled.

I don't know how any parent can stand by and watch their children suffer.  I'm no expert on religion, but I think God would have understood if you actually kept a family member from suffering a slow and painful death.

Larry Cottam was found guilty of third degree murder.  Leona was found guilty of a lesser charge.

What struck me most during the trial was the lack of remorse.  One child starved to death and another almost died, and these people didn't think they did anything wrong.