Sunday, August 25, 2019

40




My college years began 40 years ago today, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

It was orientation day at Marywood College, now Marywood University.

The college scheduled plenty of activities for the newbies on a Sunday.  I blew off most.  I should have blown them all off.  That's not a knock against the school.  All I needed to know is where the classrooms and the bathrooms were.  Most of the orientation activities were geared toward the dorm girls, and they needed them more than I.  After all, I went home to my own bed at night, had breakfast at my own table in the morning, and had meaningful conversations with the cat in between.

A friend from high school was in the same program, so at least, I knew someone there.  It was a blessing and a curse.  I already had a good friend by my side, but then again, there was no need to expand my circle of friends, and that was a mistake.  As it turned out, my friend and Marywood were not a good fit, so I eventually made new friends, which is not the easiest thing in the world for me.

It's a cliche, but after that first semester, four years passed like four minutes.  The next thing I knew, I was receiving my diploma and heading for the door.

Advice for the kids:  That first semester is the toughest.  It's new routines and new people.  That high school safety net is gone.  It's all on your shoulders.  Don't feel the need to do too much, too fast.  Don't over do it.  Don't join everything.  Go slow.  Pick your moments.  Expand after you become comfortable.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Above all, enjoy the ride.