Saturday, August 3, 2019

Classic Andy's Angles: Baltimore

The city of Baltimore has been in the news quite a bit over the past couple of weeks.  I have some definite thoughts on the controversy, but that's not what this blog is all about.

This is a photo of Baltimore City Hall I took in the late 80's.  It's a spectacular building, dating back to 1867.

A couple of quick personal notes.  I'm not a big traveler.  Baltimore was a yearly vacation destination for years.  It was far, without being too far.  Hotels were reasonable.  There was plenty to see and do, including the National Aquarium and the Science Museum.  I'd visit friends in York and Harrisburg on the way down, or on the way back home.

And yes, I liked going to malls in and around the city.  I grew up in a time when malls were new and cool, and the Baltimore area had some good ones.  I understand two of my favorites, Hunt Valley and Owings Mills were torn down.

I stopped going to Baltimore for a variety of reasons.  The city swallowed the quiet suburban area where I enjoyed staying.  I was in Baltimore 9/11/01.  I went back the next year and there were simply too many creepy memories, so I haven't been back since 2002.