Friday, January 17, 2020

The Sports Edition

ESPN is said to be prepared to offer Tony Romo $ 10 million to jump from CBS when his contract expires later this year.  Why?  Romo is good.  He's not great.  It's clear Monday Night Football needs changes.  There are better people out there. Romo talks way too much.

13 days between the national college football semi finals and the championship game.  Far too long, and I lost interest days ago.  The NCAA has to find a way to keep the championship game from getting lost in the NFL playoffs.  I listened to a fair amount of sports talk radio this week.  It was all NFL, all the time-- until the baseball cheating scandal hit.

There's speculation Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints will retire and go right in to the network television booth.

The Mad Dog sports talk channel on Sirius/XM has assembled a very entertaining line up.

Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher is going to the Hall of Fame.  This is the guy thought Kordell Stewart was the answer to the Steelers problems.  How did that work out for you?  Cowher was 2 and 4 in AFC championship games.  As I always say, it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Good.

I have less of a problem with former Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson going to the Hall of Fame.  As someone who doesn't like the Cowboys, that is difficult for me to say.  Johnson has been on FOX for years, and in my opinion, he's the only one on the set who really has interesting things to say.  I wish FOX would give him more time.  Terry Bradshaw comes in second, but only when he's really riled up about something.

Both Cowher and Johnson were told of their selections on live TV.  I just have a feeling they would still be on the outside looking in if they didn't have high profile network TV jobs.

Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in less than a month.  Hallelujah!  I just can't get interested in the endless seasons, and even more endless playoffs of the NBA and NHL.

Kudos to the Houston Astros for firing their cheating manager and general manager.   I hope it sends a strong message to the rest of the league.  If a game loses its integrity, it loses everything.  The same goes for the Red Sox.

I'm going with the favorites, and I expect a Kansas City/San Francisco Super Bowl.  I am less confident about picking San Francisco to beat Green Bay.  If I was a gambling man, I'd be tempted to take Green Bay and the points.