Saturday, February 8, 2020

Andy's Angles: Slow Weekend

I recently put this one up on some other social media sites, so the blog is getting equal time this weekend.

This is a recent view from the parking lot of the Viewmont Mall.  I'm at the end, near where Sears used to be, looking down on Interstate 81 and the North Scranton Expressway.

This was my first experiment with slow shutter speeds.  In this case, I had it open for 25 seconds.  For those of you unfamiliar with the area, Interstate 81 runs left to right.  The expressway rund below and goes off in to the distance.  Downtown Scranton is in the upper left.

This was also my first experiment with a new 24 mm pancake lens.  It's a prime lens, so what you see is what you get.  No zoom.  That's how I got stuck with a bunch of weeds and wires in the foreground.  It did an exceptionally nice job capturing the streaks of headlight and tail light, and I am especially pleased with the way the green overhead signs pop.

For the first time employing the technique, it's not bad.  There are some fairly serious flaws with the photo, and I hope to correct those with more practice.

I only tried the shot with the pancake lens.  It was a quick impromptu trip, an experiment.  My kit lenses and gear bag were deliberately left at home.