Friday, July 3, 2020

Andy's Angles: Andy's Angles

Someone who recently discovered the blog asked me about the weekend photography and the name "Andy's Angles."

It's the first weekend of the second half of the year, and it has been a while since I've offered an explanation, so here goes.

I originally started doing photographs on weekends as a sort of Hamburger Helper-- a way to stretch out resources so I wouldn't have to come up with something thoughtful every day.  It was also a nice way to have a place to show off my photography hobby.

The original headings were "Bad Photography Weekend, "Bad Photography Saturday," and "Bad Photography Sunday."  It fit.  Most of the pictures weren't very good, but I have improved, just a little,  over the years.

One day, several months ago, co-worker Mindi Ramsey was taking a look, and said the name had to go because the photographs weren't bad at all.  I punted the ball back to her and asked for a new name.  Mindi came up with "Andy's Angles," and the rest is history.

I hope you enjoy them.

Some have suggested more cross pollinating between the blog, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for increased exposure, pardon the photographic pun.  While I have done a limited amount of that, especially during a recent week off,  I prefer to keep them separate.  The blog is the oldest and biggest pig in the litter, and it gets priority, even though there can be a wider reach on other platforms.

I've been watching plenty of YouTube videos, trying to get better.  There are a few new lenses in my bag to help with creativity.  I'm thinking more about composure.  Some videos offer contradictory advice.  One guy hates kit lenses.  Another says they're fine.  There is "manual" shaming, like it's a major sin to let your camera handle some of the settings.  Even the pros tweak in post production.  I keep that to a minimum.  I do crop on occasion, a little straightening, and the rare color adjustment.  For the most part, what you see here is exactly what I shot.

There has been plenty of curiosity and experimenting.  Some things have worked.  Others haven't.  Just about everything inspires me to keep trying.

A photograph doesn't have to be great to make you happy.  Better gear doesn't make you a better photographer.  Most of the comments have been positive.  Thank you.  Some have been critical.  Thank you for that, too.  I learn from your critiques and suggestions.

Also, this will be the 11th year for my year end "Top Ten" photo review.  I put aside favorites during the year and usually assemble them around Thanksgiving.  It gives me something to do while the turkey is in the oven, and it's material for when things slow down toward the end of the year.

More photos are on the way for the weekend.  As always, thank you for stopping by.