Friday, July 10, 2020

Andy's Angles: The First




I was going through a box of old stuff the other day when I stumbled across my very first digital camera.  It was an Olympus D-380, a whopping two megapixel, and I recall it cost me a decent amount at Target.

Curiosity got the better of me.  I cleaned out some internal corrosion and popped in some fresh batteries.  It fired up nicely.  It takes a memory card the size of a floppy disc, so there was no way I could play the card in any contemporary device.  The camera came with its own software, on a CD.  I took my chances and plugged it in to my PC, to see if it would download.  It did!

Olympus still has a copy of the manual on its web site, but a lot of the operation came back to me.  This is a fun and easy to use camera.

The above photo was taken just before Christmas in 2005.  It's the old Lackawanna County Stadium, with a temporary skating rink in right field.  The county did this for a couple of years, and it was rather popular.  New ownership.  New commissioners.  New stadium.  Real grass rather than artificial turf, and the rink is a distant memory.  Still, it was a nice thing to do, and it was a decent break from our area's long, cold and boring winters.

Kep in mind, these were not the first photographs with the first camera.  They are the last photographs still on the card of my first camera.

The card didn't contain many photographs.  There are a few others of interest, and look for those on the Fridays to come.