Thursday, August 27, 2020

8

Today is the 8th anniversary of one of the best decisions I ever made.  I bought a bicycle on last Thursday of August, 2012.

After months of deliberations, I decided to take the plunge.  Having experienced horrible customer service at a big box sporting goods store, I walked in to a specialty shop in south Scranton.  That's where I told the employees what I wanted, and what I wanted to do with it.  They wheeled out a model I liked.  The credit card came out, and the bike was in the back of my SUV within minutes.

That first ride, when I got home was unforgettable.  It was a blazingly hot and humid afternoon.  I was severely out of shape, and I learned never to ride on a full stomach.  My stomach emptied as I got home, and I won't go in to those disgusting details.

I'm happy so many people started biking during the current situation, and I'm sorry bikes are tough to find.  It's a great activity, and it's going to get even better with more trails being developed.

I'm a street rider, albeit at off peak hours.  Yes, I do ride in a reflective vest, and I do have a very powerful headlight Joe Snedeker gave me a few years back.

If you're on the fence about getting a bike, I cannot recommend it highly enough.