Saturday, August 15, 2020

Andy's Angles: Light Trails and the Gear

Jeez o'Pete, I promised to tell the story behind this one weeks ago, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long.

The scene:  the O'Neil Highway, over Interstate 81 in Dunmore.  The headlights are 81 north.  The tail lights are south.

I've already noted that better equipment doesn't make you a better photographer, and I still have a lot left to learn.

This was my first time out with a new 40 mm lens.  I have a 50.  It's great for tight stuff.  My 24 is a wonderful wide angle lens.  I wanted something a little closer to the middle.  The 40 was on sale, and it was in my hands two days after I ordered it.

You might ask, why didn't I just use the kit lens with the zoom?  First, prime lenses are better in low light, and because they don't zoom, they inspire you to be more creative.  You have to think more about position and framing.  Yes, I need work there, too.

It worked pretty well.  By the time you're reading this, I will have tried to do more things with it, and you'll get an update.