Wednesday, August 26, 2020

WeatherWatch

This is a fascinating week for weather watchers.  I thought I knew most of the basics, but I had some new questions.  Thankfully, I work with pros like Valerie Smock and Ally Gallo.

I was interested as to how Marco and Laura could hit the same general area, at nearly the same time, and move in different directions once they encounter land.

Valerie and Ally explained how upper level winds work, and how steering conditions can rapidly change.  It was a new one on me, and apparently a lot of others.  Situations like this are rare and we should be thankful for that.

Forecasting technology has improved, so people living in Texas, Louisiana and Alabama had plenty of time to prepare, and get out of the storm's path.  It's still not perfect, and the updates every few hours provide new pieces of information.

We could see the remnants of Laura in our area this weekend.  The storm will have lost it punch  by then, and we can use the rain.

That's one of the odd things about weather.  Misery down south.  A benefit to the north.