Monday, September 28, 2020

Back to the Future

 

A big drug store chain is changing its logo, and the new look includes a mortar and pestle.  That one was a head scratcher.  For years, a mortar and pestle was part of the apothecary business, but that was a long time ago.  Unless you grind your own spices, no one under the age of thirty knows what this thing is.  Maybe the chain is going for a "traditional quality and service" image.  I just don't know.  I do know many stores in the chain have been modernized and the look is rather nice.  Contemporary.  Bright.  Easy to maneuver.  Informative signs.  A mortar and pestle seems to go against that image.

Speaking of archaic, regular blog readers know that I use a fair share of graphics here, and I create many of them myself.  They're not great.  They're not awful, either.  I am very fond of the "typewriter" style font, but I phased it out.  Same reason I'm anti mortar and pestle.  No one under the age of 30 gets it.

I assume the drug store marketing people tested the new logo, at least I hope they did.  I also assume it received a passing grade.

No one asked me.