Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Nuts!

 

Men and women of science might scoff, but I am convinced animals know things.

I've had dogs and cats over the years, who I am sure knew when I was feeling anxious, sad, upset and depressed, and sometimes, combinations of all four.  Of the current bunch, Peanut is the most perceptive.  Nathan is a great cat, but, as cats can be, rather aloof.

But, today's entry isn't about the truth with cats and dogs.  It's squirrels.

I have a big old chestnut tree in the front yard.  It seems to have produced a larger than normal crop of nuts this year.  That's my first clue it's going to be a bad winter.  Second, the nuts have attracted a huge group of squirrels.  They are really going to town on this tree, grabbing every nut they can get their hands on.  They grab the ones that have fallen to earth, and they've even been climbing the tree to get to the rest.

Third, the squirrel tails seem thicker than normal, and they're turned from spring/summer brown to winter grey earlier than normal.

It's it's a choice between meteorologists looking at computers, and bushy tailed forecasters, I'll place my bet on the squirrels.  Every time.

Don't dismiss the predictions of the animals, even though the scientists say we should.  It's possible we haven't found the secret to animals' ability to predict and perceive.