Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Hello! It's Me!

 

The woman above, intensely doing her job, is WNEP reporter Amanda Eustice.   She started just as the pandemic hit and our staff was divided into "inside" and "outside" teams.  She's outside.  I'm inside.

Fast forward to October 14.  Amanda was doing a story on the new John Lennon mural in downtown Scranton.  I showed up, camera in hand and bag on shoulder, for my own curiosity and to get some blog/social media material.

Amanda and I were both masked up.  After seeing me work with my professional looking gear, Amanda asked "Do you work for the newspaper?"  I took off my mask and replied, "No, I work with you."  Amanda gets major points for instant recognition, even though it was the first time we had met in person.

We had a short and pleasant  conversation.  All our communication to this point was via email.  Amanda stayed to complete her story.  I left to visit Steamtown and do a little leaf peeping.

What a strange and bizarre world in which we live.  On the same payroll since early March.  First in person meeting more than seven months later.

Like the rest of the nation, I can't wait for this to come to an end, and Amanda, it was great to finally meet you.