Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Broke

 

It is one of my usual early weekday morning activities-- buying a newspaper and a soda at the mini mart.

No one was behind me in line.  The store was empty, so I decided to empty my pockets and pay for my purchase with as many coins as possible.  I remarked to the clerk, who has become a friend over the years, that the quarters and nickels change designs so often, it's difficult to quickly tell them apart.

I also had a question.  Does anyone use those gold colored dollar coins?

Her answer surprised me, but upon further review, it made perfect sense.

The clerk told me she gets one on rare occasion, and usually when people are broke.  Think about it.   No one uses the dollar coins.  Americans love their paper dollar bills, so when you get one of the coins, you toss it in a jar or a desk drawer.  Don't ask me why.  They will never be worth more than a dollar.  There will always be plenty of them around, so there is no need to save them for the kids and/or grandkids.  When you need a fast extra couple of bucks, you fish them out of the drawer and grab that Snickers bar, Coke, scratcher, and pack of Lucky Strikes.

I have to admit that I have a few in a drawer.  I should put them in to circulation.  I'll save them for when I'm broke.