Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Loose Ends


 I finally summoned up the courage to listen to myself on the Prospector's podcast.  He's the morning man on Rock 107.  There is a link on Rock107.com.  I talked about a few things never publicly discussed before, and it wasn't as hideous as it felt at the time.

CNN recently wrapped up its multi part series on late night television.  Grade: C+, and I'm being kind.  It needed more on Tom Snyder's NBC "Tomorrow" show, which really was groundbreaking.  Also, not enough Craig Ferguson.  Too much time spent on mediocre talents and lightweights.

My recent blog entry on the song "MacArthur Park" touched off quite the discussion with a few friends.  First, the Richard Harris original is still very much disliked.  The version that aired on David Letterman's "Late Show" several years ago received good reviews.  I think it was mainly because of the rock treatment Paul Shaffer gave it, and part of the schmaltzy section in the middle was cut for time.

There was also a recent blog entry about the passing of a former radio coworker.  That one triggered a social media discussion of old radio.  While I was sorry to learn a friend died, it was nice to talk about the old days, good and bad.   There were some pretty rough days in there, but I would never regret all that experience, the successes and failures, personally and professionally.  With each year that passes, the radio days become a smaller part of my life and that makes me sad.

I recently wrote how Entercom's new name and audio platform, Audacy, is a confusing name.  Tony Kornheiser agreed on his podcast last week, saying Audacity would better.  Sorry, Mr. Tony, I think that one is taken.