Monday, June 14, 2021

STEMming the Tide

 

I had to stop by the car dealer on a recent morning.  Burned out headlight.  Second one in a few months!

Be that as it may, it was an in and out trip.  I arrived, gave my keys to the mechanics and took a seat in the waiting room.  Ten minutes later, I was done.  My quick arrival and departure apparently caught the rest of the people in the full waiting room by surprise.

As I was leaving, I said "Hey, it was just a burned out headlight bulb."  One of my fellow waiting room compadres said "You could have done that yourself."  I replied "I have a liberal arts degree."

STEM, which stands for science, technology, engineering and math is great.  It nudges young people to some rewarding educational opportunities and the jobs that follow.  STEM also has a component that shows females that this is not just a male oriented thing.  Also great.

On the other hand, I have no regrets about being an artist rather than a scientist.  Could I have made more money doing something else?  Possibly.  Would I work normal hours in another field?  Most certainly.  Would I be just as happy?  Of course not.

The sciences are fantastic.  Following your heart and doing what you enjoy is much more important, even if it means you don't have the skills to replace your own headlight bulb.