Saturday, August 21, 2021

Andy's Angles: Icy Bridge

 

Today's photo from the archives serves two purposes.

First, I enjoy looking at "cold" things on hot days.  The photo is from January 2014.

Second, it gives me an excuse to talk about the Water Street Bridge over the Susquehanna River between Pittston, on the right, and West Pittston, on the left.

The old bridge closed earlier this month.  An inspection shows there's a safety issue.  The bridge, built in 1914, has been rehabbed several times.  I'm expecting a familiar refrain from Luzerne County.  It will cost too much to fix, and way too much to replace.

To be honest with you, I loved the look, but I didn't enjoy using it.  I'm not a fan of long bridges over water.  Plus, this one was really narrow.

In a perfect world, there would be a bigger, wider, safer bridge constructed here.  However, it looks like we'll just have to use the Fort Jenkins Bridge, pictured here just upstream, until the end of time.