Sunday, August 29, 2021

Andy's Angles: The Rapids


Short story long...

I produced Newswatch 16 This Morning on Monday, as it was pouring due to Tropical Storm Henri.  All heck was breaking loose.  We had a team of people out covering it, but I was really antsy.  I wanted to see it for myself.  My duties kept me in the building until 7:15 AM.

After my shift, and after taking a major deep breath, I went home and wolfed down a sandwich.  I then hurriedly grabbed my camera and twisted on my 24 mm wide angle lens.   I should have taken my time and took all my gear.  More on that in a moment.

I hit a couple of spots along the Lackawanna River.  They were nothing to write home about.  The water level was dropping after a Sunday night high.

The shot above came from the Blakely Borough Recreation Complex, an area with big rocks and plenty of rapids when the water gets high.

The sun was coming out and it was brightening up.  I wanted a short exposure to accentuate the bubbles and the waves.  Today's picture has a 1/100 exposure.

It would have been the perfect opportunity for a long exposure shot to smooth out the water, but it was way too bright for that.  I was in a hurry and my bag with the necessary lens filter was at home.  The tripod was in the car.  A test shot was a failure.  Overexposed, even with a small aperture and dialing down the light meter as far as it would go.

We will have high water again.  I hope it won't be as bad as Henri.  I'll be back and I'll have my filter next time.