Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Business Wednesday

 

Even though retail sales were down last month, it appears people are venturing in to stores a little more often these days.

I'm depending less on the on-line retailers and actually shopping in person.  Apparently, I'm not alone and that triggered a renewed debate over self service check outs.

I would prefer to have a clerk do the work.  It's employment for someone.

On the other hand, if it's a choice between standing in a line, and zipping through a self service area, the choice is clear.  I scan my purchases myself and I bolt for the door.  Limiting time inside is more important to me right now.

I have a little news for you.  The self service revolution began before the pandemic.  Retailers like trimming the payroll.  Those jobs are gone,  and they're not coming back.

The toothpaste is out of the tube.  By the way, toothpaste is in aisle seven.  Go get it yourself.