Thursday, September 16, 2021

Follow Up Thursday

 

We haven't done a Follow Up File in a while, and there are a couple of items that deserve mention today.

There was a recent post about receiving a summons for jury duty.  My county supplies you with a telephone number.  You are supposed to call the evening prior to your service to see if you're needed.  I called.  I'm not needed.

While I appreciate the free day, especially during a vacation, I am a tiny bit disappointed.  Seeing how the system works, or doesn't work, from the inside is always a treat.  I was also looking forward to seeing some members of the courthouse crew, and catching up with the people I used to cover on a regular basis.

By the way, it's 2021.  The telephone call system works reasonably well.  Isn't it time the county assigns a temporary PIN and provides a web site so you can check your status electronically?  Keep the phones, too.  As we learned during the early days of vaccinations, not everyone has internet access.

Page 2.

Railing against the inefficiencies and incompetence in state government is almost a full time job.  The latest case in point is the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  The Associated Press did a crackerjack report and uncovered that, if you don't use EZ Pass, you stand a 50 per cent chance of getting a free ride.

Are you kidding me?

The Turnpike Commission calls it "leakage."  It sounds like a full scale torrent to me.

Once again, the state screws up and you pay the price.  Imagine what that $ 104 million dollars could have done.  Fewer potholes, lower tolls, better roadside conveniences...

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious.