Friday, October 15, 2021

All Star Game

 

Once upon a time, "Password" was a fixture on the ABC afternoon schedule.  Classic game.  Smart, amusing, the perfect play along at home game.

As the mid 70's approached, the audience got bored with it.  The ratings slipped.  ABC and Goodson/Todman decided to jazz it up with "all celebrity" tournaments every week.  It lasted a few months.  The audience rejected it, and "Password All Stars" went back to being plain "Password."  Well, it wasn't all that plain.  Two celebrities, four contestants, confusing format, and a mind boggling Lightning Round.  The post "All Stars" format limped along for a while and "Password" was eventually cancelled.

All of that is a convoluted way to bring me around to today's topic-- the recent wave of privately funded space flights.  I marvel at the technology, but the "Space Flight All Stars" gimmickry bores me to tears.  I want to see real astronauts, advancing the technology and advancing the science.  Oldest astronaut, youngest astronaut, billionaire astronaut, TV star astronaut...  it does absolutely nothing for me.

I know it does play up the fact that, eventually, space travel will become common.

Even though the private space flights are new, I'm already bored.