Thursday, October 21, 2021

SantaWatch


 The people who organize the Scranton Santa Parade pulled the plug on this year's edition.  Pandemic.  I get that.

While it is understandable, it is sad.  I was able to attend a few parades several years ago, and it was a great time.  It was the opportunity to hang with some co-workers, who I rarely see.  Plus, it was nice to meet our viewers, some of the most loyal in America.

Having said that, it's great to see communities all across our area doing some holiday related things.  For example, there is a Christmas market planned for Scranton.  Pittston is upping its game with a tree lighting and an indoor/outdoor market.  There are several others across northeastern and central Pennsylvania.

I've long established that I'm really not a Christmas guy.  Hustle, bustle, fuss and bother are not for me.  I enjoy the quieter moments.  However, those outdoor things I mentioned above to stir up some feelings.  It was being a kid, simpler times, happier times, wandering around my small town and looking at the decorated houses, walking around downtown Scranton, looking at the lights, the Scranton Dry and Globe windows...

Santa is scheduled to make several appearances leading up to Christmas, but I will really miss that grand entrance in downtown Scranton.