Tuesday, November 30, 2021

#Sad

 

It's been a while since we've had a #Sad in this space, and that's a good thing.

Below, you see the intersection of Linden and Wyoming in downtown Scranton.  This is the site of a proposed pocket park.

Green space in a downtown is rarely a bad thing, but it does indicate no one is interested in developing the land.  Downtown parks can be a magnet for trouble.  I do have faith this one will be well used, and well lit.  I hope it's not an issue.

I do have fond memories of the space.  The Markowitz brothers had a newsstand here for decades.  I'm sorry today's youth never had a chance to experience places like that.  Local newspapers, out of town newspapers, cold drinks, tobacco of all types, and every magazine imaginable.  The aroma of cigars, pipe tobacco, along with ink and newsprint is burned in to my memory, and it's a good thing.

The thing that makes me sad is it's taken years to get this project off the ground.  I do realize there is an issue with contaminated soil because of the dry cleaning operation that was here for years, but YEARS?  Come on, people.

By the way, in the interest of equal time and looking for the good here in our area and on the planet, look for a #Happy in this space in the near future.