Wednesday, December 8, 2021

About the Cover

 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, pardon the pun.

As always, the December header topic was a challenge.  Most Christmas displays aren't fired up until we get in to December, and I'm not complaining about that.  Let's do Thanksgiving first, decompress for a few days and then move in to Christmas.


The WEJL tower atop the Scranton Times building was lit the night before Thanksgiving, a tradition, and that's fine.  It was a good show.  It brought a lot of people downtown and it was a great kick off to the holiday season.  It was nice to see Thanksgiving Eve activities that didn't involve a crowded bar.

This year, the tower is my white whale.  I tried a set of shots Black Friday morning and I hated them all.  I just couldn't get it right.  I attempted every combination of ISO, exposure and aperture.  If I got the lighting right, the focus was off and vice versa.

Unless it's a special occasion, the lights go off at 2 am.  I decided to try it again on the way to work November 30, paying extra special attention to the focus.  Yes, I trusted myself rather than the camera and went manual.   It's still far from a perfect shot, but it's the best of the bunch.

I love the tower, especially at Christmas.  Have a great month!