Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Christmas Letter

 

It's time for my yearly exercise in frustration, and it's become a blog tradition for the last several years.  

I get a card and letter from my college friend, Sue, every year at this time.  She is one of those people who includes a family newsletter along with the card.  I am being 100 per cent sincere when I tell you I like those things.  I enjoy catching up with old friends.

My problem is the response.  Sue has a great life, great job, great family, great vacations...  I just don't know how to respond and as always, I publish my first draft here to get your input.

Here goes.

Dear Sue:

As always, I was thrilled to learn about your 2021 adventures, and thank you for the photo.  The smiles on all your faces is fantastic.  I'm glad things are going so well.

Life in Pennsylvania is OK.  We've had some weather extremes, but I've seen worse.  

I've been at my job a long time, and in a year when we've seen so many people trying their hands at other things, I'm still happy and challenged.

Photography expeditions haven't been spectacular, but they have been rewarding.  I've taken some shots I really like.

I've made some new friends. Unfortunately, I've lost some, too.  Too many.

I spent a recent Sunday organizing a home storage area and I realized I have far too many light bulbs.

A major bank rewarded me with a new credit card, which I have yet to use.  It's in the wallet I recently purchased, which meets my needs perfectly.

It's been another year filled with diligent tire rotations and oil changes, and I found a new toothpaste I really like.

I received two shingles shots and a tetanus booster.

I became Linked In buddies with a couple of ABC News correspondents.

All in all, it's been a fine year.

I hope 2022 is filled with happiness for you and the family.

Be well and stay safe.

Your college friend,

Andy.