Friday, December 31, 2021

Top Ten: Night in to Day

 



I had a feeling this would be my number one photo of the year, right after I took it ten months ago.

I've always had a love affair with the Scranton Times building in downtown Scranton.  Any newspaper building in a downtown, with a big radio tower, WEJL, on top, is the coolest thing ever.  Plus, the tower is tied in to the building's steel, which is sunk into the swamp that used to be Scranton, and you have a monster signal with a relatively small number of watts.  The tower itself is about 400 feet tall.

I took this one in late February, at 3:45 am.  It looks like dawn or dusk because I have the aperture opened way up and have the shutter open for 30 seconds.  The result-- night turns in to day.  A photographer friend said it looks like a painting.

The result was totally accidental.  You never know what you will get when you experiment with your camera settings and turn away from "automatic."

Well, that's this year's Top Ten.  Thank you for being along for the ride in 2021.  Now, on to 2022.