Saturday, February 26, 2022

Classic Andy's Angles: Port Jervis I

 

As the Scranton Times~Tribune reported Tuesday, a collection of rail cars based in Scranton is being moved to a new railroad historical site in Port Jervis, New York.  It's being established where a roundhouse and turntable once stood.  It makes sense.  Port Jervis has a big railroading history.

The new historical site has been established in the location you see above.  When I visited in the fall of 2013, it was a weedy, neglected mess, with trash strewn all over the place.  I snapped my photos and took off.  It was simply a scary place.  I was sorry to learn some history is leaving Scranton, but happy it gets a home in a redeveloped site, just off the main drag in Port Jervis.


In spite of the scariness, there were some neat things to see, back nine years ago, and I look forward to a return visit, without the fears.