Wednesday, February 23, 2022

In the Gut

 

I woke up to the Tuesday morning news, and it felt like a punch in the gut.

The Scranton Times~Tribune reports that the Dining Car Society is moving its collection from Scranton to a new rail museum and display in Port Jervis, New York.

Part of the deal involves the cars you see above-- purchased when the Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus closed.  I took the photo in Scranton in 2017.  What you don't see here is a restored dining car, and I'm sure it will get a lot of attention in Port Jervis.

I understand the reasons for the move, even though it is disappointing.  The head of the Dining Car Society they never found their niche in Scranton.  It's too bad.  There is some great stuff in the collection.  It could have been a nice compliment to the Steamtown National Historic Site, but it never came together.  I enjoy my trips to Steamtown.  However, there is a problem.  It.  Never.  Changes.  The Dining Car Society collection could have spiced things up a bit.

I did view the Port Jervis web site, and it looks like it will be really cool.  A big festival is set for May, but I hope to get out there before then, to take a look around.

By the way, the Port Jervis site has been on the blog before, and we'll revisit that day, in this space, this weekend.

Port Jervis Transportation History Center