Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Keith Martin

 

Former WBRE news anchor Keith Martin died Sunday.  76.

I knew Keith as a competitor.  He was tough and fair.  As an anchor, Keith had that exceptionally rare combination of gravitas, warmth, and humor.

I knew Keith as a coworker.  I've never worked with a more involved anchor.  He wasn't one who simply read what was placed in front of him.  It was not unusual to receive an afternoon phone call from Keith, asking for some information on the story you were working on.  He always had a suggestion, always curious, always supportive and helpful.  The man knew politics and government.  It was leadership in every way.

I knew Keith as a newsmaker, especially concerning his duties with the Pennsylvania National Guard.  Keith was one of the main people who made Armed Forces Week in Scranton "a thing" again.

Every meeting was positive, and it was always a kick to run in to him on a story.

There were rumors for years that Keith was considering running for office.  I have no doubt he would have breezed to victory in any race, against any opponent.

My sympathy to his family, friends, coworkers past and present, and fans.