Thursday, February 3, 2022

NFL Notes

 

Tom Brady made it official Tuesday.  The Patriots and Buccaneers star is retiring.  It's time.  44 years old.  Seven Super Bowl rings.  He has nothing left to prove.

And, that brings us to the question, is Tom Brady the greatest of all time?  There is considerable evidence to point to "yes."  I watched some spectacular quarterbacks over the years.  Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Peyton Manning, John Elway...

But, it was a different game back then.  Runners ruled.  There wasn't as much passing.

You cannot overlook those seven rings and how Brady had the ability to pull a game out of the fire in the last two minutes.  So, yes, I do consider Tom Brady the greatest of all time.

The former Washington Redskins are now the Washington Commanders.  My reaction:  Meh.  I can't say I'm thrilled.  The name has a generic quality to it.  I don't hate it.  I don't love it, either.

And that brings us to another Washington story.  The Commonwealth of Virginia is trying to lure the Commanders to northern Virginia with a two billion dollar stadium.  The Commanders are committed to their current home until 2027, so nothing is right around the corner.

The proposed stadium would have a dome.  so, it is conceivable northern Virginia could get in to the Super Bowl rotation.  It would be great having a championship game in the shadow of the capital.

I'll have my annual Super Bowl pick next week.