Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Spring Has Arrived!

 

You knew I would do it, and it always happens at this time of year.

Spring is here!

Let's back up to early Tuesday morning, right around midnight.  It cleared my sinuses, curled my nose hairs and nearly knocked me out of bed.  A skunk was paying a visit to my yard.

As has been noted here for eons, increased skunk activity is a sign warmer weather is around the corner.  They're looking for food and they're looking for love.

I was tempted to write this blog entry early last month.  There was a wicked skunk odor as I drove down the North Scranton Expressway in the middle of the night, but I took it as a fluke.  It was likely one skunk who decided to get up a little early.

Outside of the stench, ripping up lawns to find grubs, and destroying garbage bags, I've always found skunks to be cute little animals.  There is a lot to like-- the fur, the different stripe patterns and the way they waddle away when they sense it's time to flee.

Above all, the skunk is the robin of my neighborhood.