Tuesday, March 8, 2022

40

 

I don't know how this one dropped off my radar, and I'm sorry I didn't remember it, but last week was my 40th anniversary as a street reporter.

The trigger was a story about the 40th anniversary of the death of John Belushi.  I was driving back from the assignment when Terry McNulty of WARM 590 broke in with the bulletin that Belushi was dead.

Let me talk about that first assignment.  WARM news director Jerry Heller showed great faith in me (probably too much faith) and sent me to a homicide trial in Honesdale.  It was a sad story.  A man was charged with killing a toddler.  I should add that I was at the station for about a year, mostly babysitting the operation during the Sunday morning religion and public affairs programs.   I used to do fake news broadcasts for afternoon drive guy Tim Karlson.  He'd critique me, and when Tim thought I was good enough, he played the tapes for Jerry.  The rest is history.  Tim left us several years ago.  I am so lucky Timmy was on my side.

I was to drive to the station, pick up a news car, and go to the Wayne County Courthouse.   I told Jerry I would take my own SUV and leave from home.  The station's cars were standards and I was too embarrassed to say I couldn't drive a stick.  I later learned.

I thought I was a smart 20 year old kid and I'd pick it up fast.  I'll give myself a C+ grade for those first days.  Trials are nothing like you see on "Matlock."  I'd phone in a report, and afternoon anchor Terry would tell me how to make it better.  I'd hang up, rewrite, and do it again.  

Terry taught me a lot that first week, and in the years to come.  I'm sorry I never had the chance to say thank you.   In case a McNulty family member stumbles across this entry, they should know The Big Fella influenced so many broadcasters in a positive way.

Things were strained between Jerry and I when I left for WYOU in 1991, and I'm grateful we reconciled shortly before he passed.  I would not be what I am today without that foundation Jerry helped build.  He was a good man, and blessed with patience.  He really needed it with me.  That patience was severely tested on several occasions.

As for the trial itself, even as a newbie, I sensed the prosecution didn't have much of a case and that case was deeply flawed.  It went to the jury on a Saturday, when I was assigned to work at the office.  The trial ended with an acquittal, and I can't say I was surprised.

Belushi is a tragic story and I will never forget a line from Dan Aykroyd's eulogy:  "John was a good man, but a bad boy."

Forty years has passed in a flash.  I'm still having fun.  There is gas left in the tank.  I won't be around for another forty, but I'll be back at the office tomorrow.