Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Captain Dan

 

I only met Captain Dan once.

Let's go back several decades.  It was 1994, and I was working "down the street."  I was assigned to cover the Ridge for Governor campaign in Ridge's hometown of Erie.  I was there for the primary.  I returned for the general election in November, and enter Captain Dan.

Dan Geary was an Erie radio legend.  He was on the local airwaves from his high school days, until his death last week at the age of 72.

During my brief trips to Erie, Dan was working for "Classy 100 WXKC" radio,  He was visiting polling places and handing out doughnuts to the voters and election workers the morning of the November general election.  I've never been one to turn down a doughnut, and Dan and I struck up a nice conversation.  It was just two old radio bucks talking about life in "the business."  Dan was a guy you just instantly liked, and I always admired those people who lived "radio."  He made quite the impression.

The doughnut was outstanding.  I do remember it was one of those high end pastries from a supermarket bakery-- not the mass produced, sugary, tasteless things that pass for doughnuts these days.

Dan Geary entertained thousands over the years, and he also helped young people get started in radio during a stint at Mercyhurst College.

There aren't many like Dan Geary left.  I'm glad we met.  Thank you for the doughnut and the conversation.