Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Media Wednesday

 

I cannot believe the money networks and streaming services are throwing at NFL broadcasters and color commentators.  More power to them!  I always remember a quote from legendary New York sportscaster Marty Glickman.  He used to tell young broadcasters that the only one who tunes a game just to hear them is their mother.

More proof the winter Olympics were a bomb at NBC:  The games couldn't pull NBC's morning and evening news broadcasts out of second place.  People stuck with Good Morning America and World News Tonight on ABC.

I still don't stream anything and I find the current offerings nothing but confusing.

The new head of CNN is the guy who put the news back in the CBS morning show.  It's disappeared again.  His last job was running the late night show at CBS, which has a clear political slant.  I expect CNN to continue on its current course, but it would be nice to see some serious news, around the clock, again.

I will always marvel at the men and woman who cover a war, from inside the war.  Good luck to those covering the conflict in Ukraine.

Also, major kudos those broadcasters, television and radio, who can explain the war in 90 seconds.

CBS Sports Radio, which is not owned by CBS, has turned over some of its hours to a sports gambling network.  Unlistenable!

It's amazing how many big name sports talk radio people took vacation time after the Super Bowl.  It makes sense.  It's the slow season.

I do miss FOX Sports Radio and CBS Sports Radio on local terrestrial stations.  I don't have satellite for the car, but I do have it at home.

Interest in Wordle:  Zero!

NBC wants to stream Major League Baseball games, if they ever play baseball again.

I mentioned the David Letterman You Tube channel here before, and I love it more every day.  It's not just old clips.  It's also a lot of behind the scenes stuff, including the recollections of former staff members.  Hours of fun!

Speaking of  late night tv, a documentary on the great Tom Snyder is in the works, and I can't wait to see it.  Snyder was a broadcaster's broadcaster.

I'm enjoying Jeopardy! more now that there is a rotation of champions.

Even though I've been out of radio for a long time, I still do read radio industry web sites.  It seems like a lot of stations, none locally, are switching formats.  It must be a spring time thing.