Saturday, April 2, 2022

About the Cover: Farewell, Old Friend!

 

The rumors had been around for several weeks.  Something was up at Sugerman's.  The news landed with a thud last weekend.  The flea market that had occupied the old department store is closing.  Last Day:  April 24.  The building is shot and it needs massive repairs to stay open.

Sugerman's started as a department store and it is almost impossible to describe to someone who was never there.  The store closed in 1995.  It was Walmart before Walmart, except there was furniture, major appliances, a pet shop, a snack bar and more.  There were clothes, shoes, a supermarket, furniture, small appliances, large appliances, books, records, health and beauty items, stationery, a pharmacy, musical instruments, sporting goods, a travel department...

I was a geek, even way beck when.  The stationery department was a "must visit" any time I was up that way.  I still have a pen I bought there.

I can't say it was an attractive store, but it did have everything, and the price was right.  For years, Sugerman's was one of Lackawanna County's major employers, and in its heyday, I suspect just about every home in the county had at least one thing from Sugerman's, most likely an appliance.

You have to remember, these were the days before the big box specialty stores.  Walmart wasn't here yet.  No Dicks, Office Max, Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, Circuit City, Best Buy...  Sears sold a lot of appliances back in the day, but Sugerman's had them beat, and probably by a long shot.

Things changed over the years.  Service went down hill rapidly.  I remember the evening I was out to replace a television.  I saw a size, make and model that really worked for me.  Good price.  No sales person to be found.  I went to Service Merchandise instead.  Sorry Sugerman's.  I wasn't going to beg you to take my money.

Regular blog readers know I can get oddly sentimental over the strangest things.  I didn't shed a tear when Sugerman's closed.  You had a good thing going, and you blew it.  I felt sorry for the people who worked there, but the store didn't deserve to stay in business.

A few more Sugerman's memories here tomorrow.