Sunday, April 3, 2022

Andy's Angles: Sugerman's

 

I do know Sugerman's, as a department store, closed in 1995.  It was a huge building and part was used as a warehouse.  The rest became a flea market, and I cannot recall when that started.

Most flea markets are weekend things.  I work weekends, So I've never been here.  I haven't visited the other ones here in our area.  The one at the Circle Drive In along Business Route 6 in Dickson City draws massive crowed Sunday mornings.

Odd to say, but my mother brought home a cat from the Circle flea market back in the 70's.  The free kitten was the runt of the litter and she turned out to be just a fantastic feline, perhaps the best I ever owned.  Smart.  Loyal.

I digress.

Flea markets are popular weekend activities here in our area, and all those vendors need a place to go.  I suspect they will drift off to other places.  There is more than enough empty retail space around here.  It's possible some landlord will step in to fill the void.

Those vendors are getting tossed out, through no fault of their own.

Take a look at the photo above.  I deliberately left it wide to show all the potholes and ruts in the parking lot.  From what I'm told by people who have been there, the inside has been neglected as well.

Next question:  What becomes of the site?