Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Bear's Dad

 

So many people pass through our lives.  We don't know much about them, but we do know they were good people.

Before my beagle, Annie, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge several years ago, we would go for a long morning walk.  There was the occasional afternoon walk when she was in the mood.  One of our stops was a cemetery near my house.  That's where we would encounter Bo, and his dog, Bear.   The cemetery was part of their morning walk, and it was fenced in, so Bear could safely run free, and he loved that.  Bear was a big boy, with a wonderfully thick coat.   He really was a bear.  Our dogs got along well, and Bo always had a snacky bone treat in his pocket for Annie.  Bear was an interesting story.  If I remember right, Bo found him in the woods several miles away, either lost or abandoned.  Bear became Bo's best friend, and he was a great dog.  Bear passed away just a couple of years ago.

You know where this is going.  Bo died in March, but the obituary just hit the newspaper last week.

I had a college professor who taught there are no animals in heaven because animals have no souls.  I hope he is wrong and I'll know eventually, at least I hope I'll know.

I like to believe Bo and Bear are enjoying their walks together once again.