Saturday, April 9, 2022

Classic Andy's Angles: Implosion Weekend

 

It was one of the major events that shaped downtown Scranton, so it deserves another trip down memory lane.

As I noted in Tuesday's blog entry, it was the 30th anniversary of the implosion that helped make way for the new downtown mall.  Considering I have a head full of memories and a box full of photos, I should expand on the events of 30 years ago.


I mentioned that I anchored my old TV station's coverage from one of the upper floors of what was the First Eastern Bank building at Lackawanna and North Washington.  I blogged Tuesday that I was not alone.  Chief photographer Jim Keenan and director JR Azaravich were with me.  When the implosion was delayed and I had to fill time, Jimmy and JR saved me.  Jim was getting new shots out the windows, and JR punched them up on a portable switcher.

That's Jimmy in the top photo.  JR and I are at the bottom.  JR is positioned at the switcher.  I'm at the makeshift anchor desk.  To orient you, South Washington Avenue is at my right, and the left of the photo.  On my left, photo's right, is Lackawanna Avenue, pointing toward the implosion site.

More on the team effort tomorrow.