Thursday, April 14, 2022

Fearless Gilbert

 

Actor and comedian Gilbert Gottfried died Tuesday.  He had heart problems and was only 67 years old.

The man was fearless.  He made jokes right after 9/11.  He made jokes right after the Japan tsunami.  He got in trouble both times, losing jobs, money and fans.  A little fear might have served him well.

Other than those blemishes on his record, I thought Gilbert Gottfried was outrageously funny.  If I was channel surfing, and I landed on Gilbert, I stayed.  He was the highlight of every celebrity roast and he was one of the best "Hollywood Squares" celebrities-- ever.

When I watch a comedian on late night TV, I watch the reaction of the host as much as the comedian.  If Johnny Carson invited you over to the couch after an appearance, you were golden.  There is a clip on You Tube of Gilbert with David Letterman.  Letterman laughed, and Dave has seen more than his share of comedy.

Gilbert Gottfried could work blue.  He could work clean.  There was a common denominator:  funny.  Put the kids to bed and watch "The Aristocrats."  It wasn't just the joke.  It was the voice.  It was the delivery.

I'm so sorry we lost him.