Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Mighty Axe Swings

 

I always thought it was cool that ABC populated its summer schedule with game shows.  Those days are over.

Match Game:  gone.

Card Sharks:  gone.

The Hustler:  gone.

Dating Game:  gone.

I think Match Game fell out of favor when host Alec Baldwin was involved in a deadly gun accident on a movie set.  Replace Baldwin and salvage the show.  I always thought there were better choices out there.

Card Sharks could have been a major hit, but the pacing was way too slow.  The producers should have spent more time watching the Jim Perry version from the 70's.  Perry was great, and he knew how to move the show along.

The Hustler needed work, but I was forgiving because I'm a huge fan of host Craig Ferguson.

I never saw the updated Dating Game.  The original was very good.

ABC keeps Pyramid and Press Your Luck, a wise move.  Elizabeth Banks is really good on PYL.  I'm still not sold on Michael Strahan as Pyramid host, but it is one of the best game shows of all time.  

There are plenty of games out there worthy of revival.  I hope some network finds them.